The telephones system is the most used in Cusco. Public telephones are easy to find and they enable the access to local, national and international dialing and through the operator. It works with coins (céntimos and nuevos soles) and with 147 cards. You can purchase them at Av. El Sol or in the offices of Telefónica.
The Central Office of Telefónica presents the advantage of making direct international calls without time limits. You only need to request the assistance of the person in charge and you will be able to talk comfortably from your private cabin.
How to use a public telephone?
Pick up the phone and wait for the tone. In the upper part of the telephone there will appear letters on a digital screen indicating that you have to insert the coins. In order to call abroad you need 5 soles minimum, the coins of two or five soles do not work. Calls inside the city of Cusco cost 50 céntimos. So as to call to a cell phone you will need one Nuevo Sol.
In the case of 147 Cards, pick up the phone and dial the number 147; the operator will indicate you to dial the 12 secret numbers of your card. Then, the country code, the area and the number.
- For international long distance dial 00 + the country code + the city code + the telephone number.
- In the case of direct dialing, dial 0 + the city code + the telephone number
- If you require an operator for national long distance, dial 109 and request the call.
- To call to Peru from abroad, dial the access international code + 51 (Peru code) + area code (for Cusco it is 084) + the number.
- The post service is reasonably efficient. USA and Europe letters arrive in one or two weeks. The stamps for letters addressed to USA, Europe, New Zealand and Australia cost between $ 0.80 and $ 1.
- USA and Europe letters arrive in one or two weeks. The stamps for letters addressed to USA, Europe, New Zealand and Australia cost between $ 0.80 and $ 1.