Schell 343 - Of. 607
Miraflores - Lima 18
Tel: +51 1 702-2000
TOLL FREE numbers:
Address: Plaza de las Nazarenas (next to the Monasterio Hotel)
Admission time: Restricted entrance.
According to the tradition, Las Sierpes House was established as
an"yachayhuasi" or school where they taught people in the Amarucata
(in Quechua "slope of the snake") inside the Inca town of Pumacurco.
Thus there are so many relieves in snake shape that explain the
popular denomination of this house and the lateral narrow pass of
After the Spanish conquest, the manor house became property of Maniso
Sierra de Leguizamo, Spanish conqueror who was famous for having
one of the golden suns of the Koricancha, treasure that he lost
playing one night.
It is said that some time after that, the house belonged to Maria
Calderon who was the wife of the Captain Jeronimo de Villegas and
godmother of the master Francisco de Carvajal. He punished her to
death for being "insolent" and according to the legend, her body
was hung from a corner window that we can still see today.
Snakes of stone
The showiest ornaments of its facade are the snakes or dragons holding the nobiliary coat of arms over the wall of Inca stonework. In 1715, the farm turned into a convent for the shoeless "Nazarenas", the name of the square comes from them. At that time, they built the second body to the facade and the bell gable typical details of the baroque style of Cusco. It continued being a monastery until 1978, then the House was given to the "Copesco" Plan.
Address: Plaza de las Nazarenas 231
Admission time: Mon- Fri from 8:00 to 18:00. Free entrance
Description: Situated in the square of Nazarenas, outstanding on the facade we admire the nobiliary coat of arms, it has a wide patio, arches and spacious rooms.
This House is on the "Plaza de las Nazarenas" and its especial architectonic display is the result of a long history. Its first construction dates from the middle of XVI century. At that time, it belonged to the conqueror Alonso Diaz, son in law of Pedrarias and partner of Hernandes Giron in the civil war the commissionaires had against the Royal Tribunal.
After Giron lost the war, Alonso Diaz was beheaded and his house turned into a "half breed concentration house" dedicated to the daughters of those conquerors who died while fighting. In 1556, the monastery of Santa Clara was established there and it continued until 1622, when the nuns moved to the lands they currently occupy. In that occasion the church and the cloisters became property of Jeronimo Luis de Cabrera: a successful neighbour that gave his name to the farm.
Cabrera divided the nave of the church, carved a facade with his coat of arms and opened windows and balconies giving to this building its definitive external appearance. But even today, the elevation of this house over the level of the street reminds us about its old ecclesiastic origin. During Republic times, the patio changed completely adding the metallic balustrade to the high gallery. Between 1981 and 1986, the building was fully restored to become a bank. Today, it shelters the cultural rooms of the Banco Continental and continues having an active presence in Cusco.
|OUR TRAVEL AND TOURS SITES|
|OUR TRAVEL AND TOURS SITES|
IN LATIN AMERICA